HS Prannoy slams BWF’s ‘silly choices’ | Badminton News


KOCHI: HS Prannoy along with six others had made a brave decision to pull out from the All England Badminton tournament which was held at Birmingham from March 11 to 15 amid COVID-19 fears.

The situation was not severe back then but Prannoy and Co chose to stay back not heeding to pressure emanating with the badminton circles to compete in the prestigious tournament.

But as new positive cases are being reported on the players who participated in the tournament, Prannoy’s decision has been vindicated. “At that time many people criticised my decision. There was a time even I too felt to reconsider my decision,” Prannoy said.

“I chose to stick to my decision considering the amount of travelling we need to do. Only the players travel in business class, our support staff will be travelling in the economy class and we cannot avoid contact with them,” added the singles ace.

Prannoy, who had been eighth in BWF world rankings, says that the current BWF officials are taking stupid decisions and that they are not worried about the welfare of the shuttlers. “In my opinion, BWF officials are making stupid decisions. Even after conducting All England there was uncertainty over the remaining tournaments. It was only after the players’ strong reactions on social media that BWF decided to postpone the remaining tournaments. The BWF were so adamant to conduct the tournament. They could have at least avoided the spectators,” he added.

“Compared to other sports, the money involved in our sport is way too low. If the top football leagues in the World can stop their matches, why can’t our federation take such a decision? BWF officials are least bothered about players’ health. They are only worried about money. BWF were ready to conduct the Malaysia Open and Indian Open. They said that they will conduct it in closed door, but they were not willing to hear our woes and strains. They didn’t have an answer when asked what will happen if one of the players will be affected with COVID-19,” said the 27-year old.

Prannoy also slammed BWF president Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, who a day after the All England tournament said that their decision to conduct the tournament was the right one since no one has been infected. “The BWF president should have acted responsibly and sensibly. Just a day after his statement, reports of a Chinese Taipei tested positive for corona came out in the media. Nothing would have happened even if this tournament was not conducted,” Prannoy said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.